Terms & Conditions
The Alford Valley Community Railway
Registered as a Community Benefits Society reg. number 8486 and as a Charity number SC051076
70 Main Street
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR ALFORD VALLEY COMMUNITY RAILWAY – JULY 2023 REVISION
All persons travelling on the Alford Valley Community Railway and at all times whilst on or at our premises are subject to the following terms and conditions:
- We will use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that all services operate as planned. However, we reserve the right, where appropriate, whether for safety reasons, or otherwise, and with or without prior notice, to substitute or cancel any service. If a scheduled service is moved or rescheduled, tickets can be exchanged on a like for like basis.
- The Alford Valley Community Railway cannot be held responsible for any loss, inconvenience or delay should it become necessary to alter or cancel the advertised services.
- A return seat is only guaranteed if you make an immediate return (if you decide to spend some time in the park, we can’t guarantee a return seat later in the day – we will try obviously but you may have to make your own way back).
- Under no circumstances will the train be delayed for latecomers, even if the rest of the party is already on the train.
- The Alford Valley Community Railway has a zero tolerance policy and reserves the right to ask any member of the public to leave its premises if deemed necessary to do so, including but not limited to if they are abusive towards volunteers or act in an inappropriate manner that is likely to cause themselves or others harm or damage any property.
- Tickets should be purchased at the station ticket office or from the guard. It is an offence to travel without a ticket. Current fares are detailed on our website and stations and may change without notice – special prices may apply for certain events.
- Passengers must always keep personal belongings with them. We accept no responsibly for the theft or loss of any property or personal item whilst travelling on our trains or on our premises.
- Unnecessary noise such as that from the use of radio sets, personal stereos, including MP3 players and any other electrical equipment, or any behaviour likely to cause annoyance to other passengers, is not permitted on any service.
- Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult and always remain under the supervision of an adult.
- All passengers should keep all limbs inside the confines of the carriage. Leaning out or extending arms or legs outside the train during the journey is strictly forbidden and will result in removal from the train at the next available opportunity.
- Smoking (including vaping) is strictly prohibited on board the trains or premises.
- Dogs are welcome in most of our areas as long as they are kept on a lead and under control at all times. On our trains, dogs must not sit on seats and must be kept on the floor. Assistance dogs are welcome throughout.
- Passengers must only board and alight when the train is at a designated stop and when instructed by us.
- Passengers must always remain seated during the journey.
- Whilst waiting for trains, passengers must always remain on the platforms and not walk onto the railway tracks.
- Alford Valley Community Railway reserves the right to vary any of the provisions of this website without prior notice.
Refund of Train Travel and Event Tickets
- Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- We advise all visitors to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to departure time.
- No refunds are given for missed trains.
- Tickets are only valid on the date shown. It is your responsibility to ensure you have been issued with the correct tickets.
- Where alterations are agreed by the Alford Valley Community Railway, any tickets previously received by the customer must be returned to, and received by, the Alford Valley Community Railway before replacements can be issued.
- Passengers will be held responsible for any damages they may cause to any part of the railway stock or premises and will be charged the full cost of repairs.
- Breaching of any of these Terms and Conditions or any unacceptable behaviour likely to cause damage, nuisance or injury shall enable us to refuse to carry you as a passenger or will result in your removal from the train at the next available opportunity.
We employ CCTV at some of our stations and workshops in order to:
- Prevent, deter and detect crime
- apprehend and prosecute offenders, and provide evidence to take civil action in the courts
- help provide a safer environment for our staff
- protect public safety
- help to provide improved customer service, for example by enabling staff to see customers requiring assistance
- monitor operational and safety related incidents
- assist with the verification of claims
You have the right to make a Subject Access Request for CCTV images of yourself and to ask for a copy of them. You will need to complete an application form provided by us in order for us to establish your identity as the person in the pictures and assist us in finding the images in our system.
We reserve the right to withhold information where permissible by the General Data Protection Regulations and we will only retain CCTV images for a reasonable period or as long as is required by law. In certain circumstances we may need to disclose CCTV images for legal reasons. When this is done there is a requirement for the organisation that has received the images to adhere to the GDPR.